What you need:
- SQLite viewer – can be downloaded free, just Google “portable sqlite viewer”
Backup the “Steam\userdata\[yourID]\239820\remote” folder so that you have a backup, in case things go wrong.
Step by step guide
Here we will replace the slot_auto save. Make sure the one you wish to replace matches. For example slot_auto from original to slot_auto new one.
- Open your old savegame file with the SQLite viewer. It is a file called “file__0.localstorage” which is located in:
“C:\Users\LOGGED IN USER\AppData\Local\Game Dev Tycoon\Local Storage“
- Locate slot_auto in the sqllite viewer.
- Double click the value opening the data and copy all the data from top to bottom.
- Go to:
- Open slot_auto with a text editor.
- Select all inside, paste over the data from the old slot_auto that you copied from file__0.localstorage.
- Save the file.
- Find Game Dev Tycoon in the Steam application.
- Right click on it and choose properties.
- Click updates, and uncheck cloud synchronization.
- Launch Game Dev Tycoon via steam, load your save game.
- If all went well, you should be greeted with:
“Updated VersionThis save game has been imported from an older version of Game Dev Tycoon. We have re-balanced the game, added new consoles, increased the storyline (runs for 35 years) and added a couple new features. You should be able to continue this save game without issues but if you want to get the full re-worked experience, please consider started a new game.“
Credits to jlamanna83 from the Greenheartgames forums for providing this useful guide.